Sunday, June 15, 2008

The Age of Innocence

What is it about epic, tragic, period romances that turn me into mush? It seems to happen a lot, and this is most assuredly not an exception.

It's, for lack of a better term, perfect. Everything in it and about it is on a level that feels odd to witness, at least for me. It's beautifully elegiac and poignant, two things I have seen in films, but never in this manner. Also, I could never understand how this was apparently automatically deemed lesser Scorsese and never talked about, and now I'm even more confused. Same thing with The Last Temptation. Just because they're different to most of the rest of his filmography, how does that make them not on the same level as them, especially when they seem to be two of his most excellent films? I don't know, maybe I'm being too naive about it, or I'm focusing on reasons that aren't the cause. But whatever those actual reasons are, they're very stupid.

The way it was made is it's shining glory, I think. The costumes, the art direction, the cinematography, the editing, the writing, the direction are ALL completely excellent. They're all looped together too, and they create a very delicate visual extravaganza, but it's never obvious enough in the ways you would expect a film described as such to be that you'd ever say it was one. But it is.

Then there are, of course, the performances. OMG?! Day-Lewis and Pfeiffer, always excellent, are EXCELLENT. And Ryder (the only person nominated for this WTF?) is, like, unimaginably subtle, and it works beautifully. That she almost won for this has always made me giggle, but DANG IT, she would've deserved it immensely. Never thought I'd say that...

In short, I loved it. A lot. So, so much. An incredible amount. I WANT TO HAVE IT'S BABIES. Srsly.

VD Grade: ★★★★★ (out of five)

6 comments:

nick plowman said...

Totally...it really is a great film, and no one EVER mentions it. That is crazy!

Super glad you loved it {how could you not?}.

I wish Ryder was in more films...I love her, and I thought she was good in the film, but Day-Lewis was like WHOA! And Pfeiffer is gorgeous.

I think I should go rent it or something; I totally want to see it again.

Emma said...

Lovely little film.

Hello, you, btw! You've moved!

J.D. said...

Hi Emma!!!! I missed you. :)

Rural Juror said...

Have to disagree. I find Winona REALLY miscast, and the whole affair is a bit uneven.

Kamikaze Camel said...

The Age of Innocence, The Last Temptation of Christ and Taxi Driver (not in that order) are my three favourite Scorsese films although I'm "meant" to think his best are Raging Bull, Goodfellas and Taxi Driver. They're his most masculine you see and, thus, are immediately the better films as deemed by decades worth of pointless critics.

NATHANIEL R said...

my favorites are actually TAXI DRIVER, KING OF COMEDY and RAGING BULL. I don't totaly groove on this one. I'm not sure why.

i should probably see it again.